The comics portion of the internet exploded yesterday when the news dropped of DC’s plans for the DCU in September. Links ahoy!
- DC’s press release
- USA Today announcement
- USA Today interview with Geoff Johns and Jim Lee
- DC’s letter to retailers
There are a TON of rumors, questions and theories floating around the internet, but here is what we know so far:
- 52 new number 1 issues to be released in September. The renumbering appears to include Action Comics and Detective Comics.
- DC is going same day-and-date digital for all new releases beginning in September.
- Some series and characters will not return following Flashpoint whereas others will be “tweaked”.
- Creative teams will be shuffled.
- Character designs are being modified.
- Justice League will be rebooted by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee with a bright, shiny #1 issue on August 31. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), The Flash (Barry Allen), Aquaman and Cyborg are confirmed as members, and an additional 7 characters will be added to the team.
I find most of the rumors at least plausible, but I’m not going to react positively or negatively until we start receiving confirmation via press releases, interviews and the all-important September solicits to be released on June 13. I will say that I don’t like several of the rumors.
The biggest piece of news to me is the same day-and-date digital release announcement. This could be a game-changer, and retailers are not going to react positively to this news. I will say that if DC insists on charging the same price for digital comics as print comics, then this initiative will fail.
These are bold moves, DC. As a comics fan and a DC fan, I hope you succeed.